Tuesday, March 01, 2011

bye bye veganism

Today I woke up and realized my week of being a vegan was over! Then I rejoiced. Vegan week was really hard... Plus towards the end of it my stomach was feeling pretty upset, probably because it was really angry that I wasn't feeding it delicious meats, milk and cheeses.

As for how being a vegan affected me overall, I guess it didn't really make too much of a difference. Besides a couple times when I felt really tired this past week (and I'm not even sure if that was because I was a being a vegan or something else), I felt pretty normal physically. I actually used a scale in Buffalo at the beginning of the week, and a scale in NYC at the end of the week, so I can't say for sure on the weight effect, but the weights were consistent, I don't think I lost any weight from being a vegan. In fact, I think I ate a lot, grazing on different things all throughout the day to keep me satisfied.

I'd say the biggest way it affected me was mentally and socially. It was just hard to have to think about everything I ate, and also it was tough with my lifestyle. If I am doing anything after work, I generally don't have the luxury of stopping home first. So if I went to a bar to watch a basketball game after work, went right over to my brother's apt for a party, or just had a volleyball game later on in the evening, there weren't many options for me to stop and grab something to eat. I think when you're a vegan the best way to do it is make most of your own meals.

Anyways, it was an interesting challenge, but I'm glad it is OVER! Don't think I'll be converting to this lifestyle anytime soon, though it does seem to encourage healthy eating.

Two challenges down, ten to go... feel free to leave comments and recommend what I should take on in the month of March.