Monday, February 07, 2011

Superbowl 2011 Commercials - CREAM OF THE CROP

The Super Bowl is probably one of the most exciting days of my year. You might be thinking to yourself, but why...you are a Bills fan. But I think Super Bowl Sunday is a day any sports fan can enjoy, and it doesn't hurt that usually you watch it with lots of friends, food and drinks.

Plus since I'm a huge advertising nerd, I have yet another reason to tune in -- the ads. Although overall I wasn't blown away with the commercials as a whole, here are ten that I enjoyed. I hope you do as well!

MVP

For me, the best spot of the night was the VW commercial featuring a little guy trying to use the force on various objects to no avail. Then something miraculous happens. I think this was a really cute and memorable spot that also was relevant to a specific product feature. Take a look:

VW - The Force


BEST USE OF ANIMAL
Sure there were dogs standing up serving people drinks in one ad, but the animal spot that really resonated with me was this little gem from Bridgestone:

Bridgeston - Carma


HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE
This spot for the NFL was done by Grey Advertising, one of our "sister companies." So it was actually screened the Thursday before the Super Bowl at a Happy Hour. Might resonate more with me since I love television so much, but I thought it was pretty cool with all the alterations to the original footage. Have a look:

NFL - American Family


PERSONAL FOUL
This Doritos spot has a funny shock factor and got a big reaction at our Super Bowl viewing party. Everyone agreed that they took it a bit too far with the pants at the end, though. See for yourself:

Doritos - The Best Part


BEST ANIMATION
Fairly good amount of animated spots last night...here's the one I thought was done best:

VW - Black Beetle


BEST RACK
I love the tone of this spot. Also love that Faith Hill's just kinda in it. Check it:

Teleflora - Help Me Faith


BEST ROSEANNE TACKLE (by a tree)
Taking off with the concept they introduced last year with Betty White, Snickers continued a pretty clever concept this year:

Snickers - Logging


BEST SONG OF THE NIGHT (Including the Halftime Show and National Anthem)
Might just be partial to this Elton John diddy, but I rather enjoyed this commercial:

Budweiser - Wild West


BEST AD FOR PEOPLE WEARING BOAT SHOES, SHORTS WITH LITTLE ANCHORS SEWN INTO THEM, AND WHO GO BY THE NICKNAME "CAPTAIN"
Part of Audi's whole "Startled Smart" campaign, here we see several people trying to escape from Luxury Prison. I don't know why they'd want to leave really. As I watched them escape I was dining on some delicious quail, and listening to some smooth jazz with a cardigan wrapped around my shoulders. If that's not the dream I don't know what is. Anyways, I digress. The spot:

Audi - Release the Hounds


MOST TURNOVERS
This spot goes through a variety of scenarios before finally coming back to where we started. Since I'm a fan of all things silly, this one kind of made me giggle:

Carmax - Kid in a Candy Store


Alright, that about does it with my notable commercials from the evening. Hopefully next year there are a few more inspiring spots, and less where people are getting knocked over or hurt in some way.

0 comments: