Sunday, January 11, 2009

Want to feel better about being a Bills Fan?

I sure do. Every year I am reduced to watching the NFL playoffs rooting solely for members of my playoff fantasy football team to succeed, with no real pride at stake nor real concern for who wins. The excitement of Super Bowls mainly consists of happiness to consume tasty snacks, drink some beer and anticipation for the most talked about commercials of the year (gotta embrace that advertising nerdiness).

When the Buffalo Bills fail to make the playoffs (as they have continued to do since 1999's horrifying Music City Miracle incident), I have no stake in the playoffs whatsoever. And sometimes, it leaves me feeling unfulfilled. But I read about some teams in my most recent TIME magazine that make me feel a little better about that 7-9 record...

First off, the Detriot Lions this year were awful. 0-16 making history baby. But besides that obvious one, Time provided some more examples of awful teams:

Philadelphia 76s, 1972-73 season
Record: 9-73
That's a win percentage of .109
Come on now, they played over 80 games and only won 9 of them. That's depressing.

NY Mets, 1962 season
Record: 40-120
They lost one hundred and twenty times?! That is so many times.

Washington Capitals, 1974-75 season
Record: 8-67-5
Yeesh. A whopping eight wins. I mean that's more than the Bills had this year but I'm hoping if the Bills had over 65 more games this season they would snagged a couple more W's.


So next time you're feeling down as a Bills fan thinking about Wide Right or the Music City Crapacle, think about the fans of these teams. At least we aren't that bad.

0 comments: