Sunday, February 22, 2009

Final....Oscar Night....Predictions!

The Oscars are tonight! You know what that means, time for me to woman up and make my official day of the Oscar picks that are, yes, my final answer (note the Slumdog reference). I just watched Frost/Nixon and now am happy to say I’ve seen every Best Picture contender, though I’m not sure it will help me in any way in my predictions.

I know you’re all busy, so let’s just get to the point – here are my picks:

Best Picture
Who I Want: I’m not sure… I think I’d love it if The Reader won because I liked it more than everyone else seems to and it would just piss everyone right off.
Who Will Win (if I say it with authority it makes it seem like I know what I’m talking about): Slumdog MILLIONAIRE

Directing
Who I Want: David Fincher. I also liked Ben Button more than everyone else did. Cheers to my alternative tastes!
Who Will Win: Danny Boyle

Actor in a Leading Role
Who I Want: Sean Penn. He was amazing as Harvey Milk, a real transformation
Who Will Win: Sean Penn

Actress in a Leading Role
Who I Want: Kate Winslet
Who Will Win: Kate Winslet, though if Meryl Streep does in fact take it, I will be mad at myself for being upset about it because Streep really was phenomenal in Doubt.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Who I Want: Heath Ledger. I don’t think much more has to be said here. Amazing performance by someone who filmmaking will sorely miss.
Who Will Win: Heath Ledger

Actress in a Supporting Role
Who I Want: You know what? I can’t really say who I want to win this category. I think this is one of the hardest ones to call, and I’ve seen every performance except Penelope Cruz, who is the “front runner.” I’m going to have to say Taraji P. Henson for me, and I don’t know if I really can give you educated reasons to support my opinion.
Who Will Win: Penelope Cruz I think will win, I heard she is brilliant in the film.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Who I Want: The Reader! Read the book after I saw the movie and I think the transformation to script and screen were done very well.
Who Will Win: Slumdog MILLIONAIRE

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Who I Want: Milk. Sadly I am not super familiar with all of these noms.
Who Will Win: Milk, if only to make up for not voting it Best Picture. Those Holllywood Liberals!

Art Direction
Who I Want: Revolutionary Road. Throw the poor flick a bone, Academy.
Who Will Win: Ben Button. It was a beautiful film.

Cinematography
Who I Want: Ben Button
Who Will Win: Slumdog MILLIONAIRE

Costume Design:
Who I Want: Anyone who won’t give too long of a speech.
Who Will Win: The Duchess

Film Editing
Who I Want: Actually, after seeing Frost/Nixon today, maybe that!
Who Will Win: Slumdog MILLIONAIRE

Makeup
Who I Want: NO BRAINER. Ben Button.
Who Will Win: Ben Button

Visual Effects
Who I Want: Ben Button
Who Will Win: Ben Button

Animated Feature Film:
Who I Want: I don’t really care… is that bad?
Who Will Win: WALL E


I know there are more categories but you know what? There’s no money on this and frankly I don’t feel like much predictions anymore, even more so on things I know nothing about like docs and foreign films that I’ve never seen.

So those are my picks! Have a happy Oscar night, America. (and by America I mean my huge readership from the American general public, all 5 of you…)

0 comments: