Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predictions


Tonight I will be babysitting. And at exactly 7:45 pm I will force the children to go to their beds so I will be able to get ready to start enjoying the Oscars. I know I’ll miss most of the red carpet festivities, but I can get all that stuff by flipping through a STAR magazine later this week. What I’m really pumped for is the winners. The Oscars are really exciting for me for some reason. I’m not really invested personally in any of the nominations, but I’m just curious to see who will reign supreme this year, especially after reading all the coverage on the event in Entertainment Weekly and other various news outlets. And I like to predict the winners. This year I will do so publicly, mostly because none of my roommates wanted to throw $5 down for a little Oscar prediction showdown. So, in my mind, the winners will be…

BEST ACTOR – easy schmeezey. Daniel Day-Lewis. And I didn’t even see that movie yet.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – Javier Bardem – No Country For Old Men – he plays the really creepy dude masterfully.

BEST ACTRESS - Gonna go with Marion Cotillard – La Vie En Rose; although for some reason I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a little Juno winner, Ellen Page…

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – Although Ruby Dee from American Gangster has been sweeping up some other awards in this category, I think Cate Blanchett in I’m Not There will take the trophy.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY) – including this category because I’m currently writing an original screenplay for class, so I know firsthand that it’s not easy to do. Anyway, I gotta go with Juno – Diablo Cody. First time screenwriter. Mad props.

BEST DIRECTOR – Coen Brothers, No Country for Old Men.

BEST PICTURE – No Country for Old Men. I’m excusing the ending, which I thought was a pretty terrible digression from an otherwise wonderful story.


And those are the only categories I feel like predicting right now. So lay off me. I’ll leave the rest up to the Academy. And if I get all of these right, someone owes me a beer. Wait, it’s the Oscars. A glass of wine.

1 comments:

Nussy said...

I think we made all the same picks (except you stayed serious with your Actress pick). Really as long as Falling Slowly wins for best Song I'll be happy.