Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Ol' Bucket List

The Bucket List – a mediocre movie starring two people who I expected more from, yet I guess even the best acting cannot save a somewhat slow moving romp that tries a little too hard to summon deep emotion laced within comedy. The humor is dragged down, and the somber moments don’t connect fully with the audience. My mom says I didn’t enjoy it because it’s “for an older audience,” but I’m interested to hear her thoughts after viewing the film. (note: parents watched the film last night and...enjoyed it! maybe I am too young)

One thing the movie does adhere to is the rule that Morgan Freeman must provide voiceover for the narration of any movie he is involved with, as two men who discover they don’t have much time left to live try to accomplish everything on their “bucket lists,” things they want to do before “kicking the bucket.” I’m sure you are aware of this plotline from the movie’s trailer (which generally will save you about an hour and a half if you just decide to watch that instead of the movie). In other words, the movie is basically a remake of A Walk To Remember, replacing Mandy Moore with two older men.

And since the timeframe to post about the “Top ____ Moments of 2007” has passed, I’ve decided to share the embarrassing “My A Walk to Remember List” with you that I wrote sometime in late middle school/early high school:

(enjoy!)

1. Read one book by everyone we learned about in English
2. Learn to play the guitar
3. Take a roll of film using a good camera trying to be artistic (hahaha)
4. Go to France (and the reason I picked France out of anywhere in the world…?)
5. See a Redwood tree in real life
6. Be famous (I once read a statistic that some crazy proportion of teenagers believe they are going to be famous. But that discussion is for another post)
7. Send someone I don’t know that well a nice note if you see them in the paper (this was prompted by a nice note I received from like my Grandma’s friend’s daughter who saw my name in the paper…)
8. Learn how to speak a different language fluently!
9. Go to Israel (Now I’ll change that to “Revisit Israel”)
10. Fall in love
11. Write a book
12. Write a movie (or direct)

1 comments:

Nussy said...

We should do that last one on the list. I have ideas for both a TV show (about Mall workers) and a movie (about a son and his estranged father), but refuse to flesh out the idea until the Writer's Strike is over (it may also be because I'm lazy). Also we're going to need Judd Apatow to produce if he's available, because frankly every decent idea I come up with is heavily Judd Apatow influenced.